Late last night, two Modesto firefighters were burned after falling through the roof of a private dwelling while performing truck company operations. The two firefighters had gone to the roof for vertical ventilation during a fire that had started in the garage. A mayday was issued and the two firefighters were located, removed and turned over to EMS on the scene.
One of the firefighters was reportedly being treated at Doctors Medical Center for burns. The other reportedly has “significant burns” and is being treated at UC Medical Center in Davis, California. It is stated that both were conscious and talking at the time of their removal.
The fire is believed to have been caused by the homeowner using a candle. While filling a gasoline generator, the candle being used as a light source was dropped. The generator was being used to supply electricity to the home. Firefighters made their initial attack on the garage fire via the dwelling’s interior.
““There was a catastrophic failure on the roof and the two firefighters fell through,” Patino said. “Upon collapse, the mayday was reported. The intervention crew was pressed into service and within a couple of minutes, they had both firefighters out.”
Patino said the intensity of the heat caused the roof to collapse significantly sooner than usual, adding that he was told by crew member that he had never seen a roof fail in that short amount of time.” [bold mine]
Reference Powered by Facebook Comments
2 Firefighters Seriously Injured in Modesto Blaze Modesto Bee
- – - – -
Lowell expected back in six to eight weeks.
Also on Backstep Firefighter …
Collapse Six Minutes After Under Control, Chicago 2010 – December 22, 2011
Rescue of Handicapped Occupant and Progressing Fire on Videos – December 15, 2011
Profiling and Pets – July 19, 2012
Duplex Fire with Rescues (Videos) – August 8, 2012
Powered by Facebook Comments